
We had scheduled a horseback ride for Monday afternoon, but decided to postpone it until Wednesday. Julie called to reschedule as we traveled toward Bryce Canyon on Monday. She turned out to be a prophetess for just before we should have been leaving, it began to lightning and thunder--then hail--and then snow! We pitied the poor people we saw leaving a short time after our cancelled appointment, huddled over their animals' backs. Wednesday turned out to be a gorgeous day. We hiked into the canyon that morning, ate lunch outside on the lodge deck, and then left to saddle up!
As we were waiting in line for our "broncs" three young men came up and joined the line behind Leonard and I. (Julie and Tom were already getting "into the saddle".)
Leonard asked the young men where they were from.
"San Francisco."
Leonard: "Where are your wives?"
They all three looked at each other, and one guy pointed to the one standing beside him.
Leonard: "Oh, you're not married?"
One of the three: "Yes, we are," said the fellow, again pointing to his partner.
"I'm not. I mean I'm not married--they are." Said the third.
Leonard's expression was priceless! Thank goodness, Leonard and I were then called to mount up.
Westward Ho!
Do we look like John Wayne's posse or the outlaws?
It was a pretty steep trail in places. At one point the horse ahead of me shied when the "cowgirl" dropped her camera. Of course, my mount shied also, but thank goodness Tonya (my mule) knew what she was doing, and I just had to hang on!
Was the 2 1/2 hour grueling ride worth it? You decide:
Amazing pictures and the commentary about Dad's story is AWESOME! Made me laugh out loud!
ReplyDeleteThe way I heard it Dad finished the conversation with, "Oh, I've never met one of you before." Or something classic like that. Looooove it. Only Dad.
ReplyDelete